Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I Never Felt This Way Before ...

Last weekend ew and I ended up seeing the Amazing Spider Man.  On its own, it's actually a decent movie, but given that it's pretty much the exact same story as the first Spider Man (which is only about 10 years old), it's a bit superfluous.  The trailers hyped up the secret of Peter Parker's parents, but the movie really only touches on that aspect to set up a sequel.  Regardless, there's a wonderful scene in the movie, where Peter Parker (played by the very likable Andrew Garfield) discovers his acrobatic abilities by skateboarding in an isolated industrial area.  It's paced to Coldplay's Til Kingdom Come and I think it poetically captures everything about adolescence and self discovery.  That sense of loneliness we all feel in our youth, searching for something to define us, searching for that feeling we've never felt but want to feel.  That slow discovery of something meaningful, of something worthwhile, of feeling alive.  And finding moments of peace amongst the turbulence of life.

Maybe that scene resonated with me because as I've gotten older, I've begun to listen to less and less music, and hearing Coldplay brings back memories of my adolescence.  Not quite high school, but definitely college, and in particular, my relationship with ew.  And I recall that feeling of alienation, of cynicism, but also the exhilaration, impetuousness, and spontaneity.  As we age we think we need to be more responsible, more mature, more stable, and that is true.  We've gone through more life experiences and don't overreact to situations.  We don't run as hot and cold as we did when we were younger.  But to some extent, maybe this evenness takes the edge off of life.  It reminds me of scene from Cold Mountain.  Jude Law's character is the experienced war veteran who is at a standstill with a younger guy.  Jude Law is trying to implore the youth to walk away since the youth doesn't even understand what he is fighting for.  But the youth says he has something on his side: the confidence of youth.  I think we shouldn't underestimate our need to recall that every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment