Wednesday, September 19, 2012

This I Promise You

St recently asked me if I had a copy of the vows I wrote for my wedding.  I didn't think I had kept it anywhere, but somehow I found it in my gmail inbox.  To ew:

It took me a really long time to think about what I wanted to say in these vows.  I contemplated whether I should talk about how we met and fell in love.  Or if I should talk about all the things I love about you.  Or if I should tell you what exactly it is I am vowing to you.  But no matter what I thought about, it always came back to a single theme, and that is what love really means to me.

People love good stories.  Love at first sight.  Meant to be.  Stories you read about or see in movies.  Destiny and serendipity finding a way to bring soul mates together.  Our story has never really been like that.  We were friends, then good friends, then boyfriend and girlfriend, then best friends.  We had chemistry from the start, but I don’t think either one of us could honestly say upon first meeting that we knew we were made for each other.  But you know what?  I think those stories have it backward.  You don’t just happen to meet your soul mate, you find your soul mate.  Because I do believe we are meant to be, but not because of some unexplainable magic, but because of our love for each other, because of what love means to both of us.

It’s easy to be in love.  I think most people who marry have good intentions and that they love each other.  But you constantly hear about how people fall out of love.  And I think that’s because love isn’t easy.  Things don’t magically work out because you love each other.  I know this, because many times in our relationship I’ve tried that approach.  I will admit this to you now, but after some arguments where I thought I was right, I would intentionally close up hoping you’d magically see my viewpoint.  I’m not sure this ever worked.  You know what did work?  Open communication with each other, and a desire to see things from each other’s perspective.  Also, I’m not sure we would have made it through long distance if we just counted on love pulling us through.  It took lots of effort, from arranging visits every month, to balancing our time with each other, family, and friends, to talking through problems late into the night, even when we were exhausted from a long workday.

What I’m trying to say is that being in love doesn’t mean anything unless you act on that love.  To take the time and effort to communicate openly, to show affection, to compromise, to trust, to take chances together, to support each other, to want to pursue the other one’s happiness.  And that is how I know we are soul mates.  Because you make me want to do all of those things.  From simple things like eating healthier and proper skin care, to much more complex and difficult things like understanding and supporting a Ph.D. candidate who is also planning a wedding and interviewing for jobs.  I know that we are very different people.  You’re more nervous than me.  I’m more adventurous.  You’re more compassionate and kind.  I’m more mischievous.  But I know that we both love each other in a way that makes us always want to understand each other and pushes us to become better, more complete people.  And I know that our love and marriage will be incredible because of that.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment